Tag: Cascade ACM SIGGRAPGH
Game Night | Where CG and Games Meet
Film Screening and Game Play Mixer,
Come to a gathering of game enthusiasts and multimedia specialists, screening one of our favorite films, Us And The Games Industryexplorations in game design interactivity and inspiration.
“This new generation of game designers seeks to make gaming a cerebral, artistic, or emotional experience.” – Stephanie Beth, Director
Us and the Games Industry is a feature documentary ithat nvestigates design principles with contemporary computer game developers. Featured are: Jenova Chen with lead programmer John Edwards and Producer Robin Hunicke and team members at work at thatgamecompany that was responsible for the game, JOURNEY for networked play on the PS3.
- Sign-up for Free Registration at EventBrite
- Come on February 20, 2017 at PCC Cascade (see map)
- The movie is approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes long.
- Snacks and drinks supplied by PIGSquad.
- 5:45p Registration, food and drink, meet and greet
- 6:00p Mixer / Game Play: (Gang Beast TBA)
- 7:00p Screening of Us and the Game Industry.
“Us and the Game Industry” explores computer game development and is a feature-length documentary filmed between 2009–2012 in the USA and Copenhagen.
Developers share their motivation, design process, focus and execution of game ideas. Each developer has a different style and takes a different direction. Each wonders about the potential of digital game design.
Filming begins in San Francisco and expands significantly to an observation of processes at thatgamecompany as the team builds, completes and offers JOURNEY, a networked game play for two on PS3, to the public.
Composer Austin Wintory, for JOURNEY, breaks new ground with a score made interactive for networked play. Many aspects of the game design process for JOURNEY received world recognition. Antichamber went on to be heralded as an engagement in “an Escher-like world.”
Threading throughout, Robin Hunicke, Jenova Chen, Kellee Santiago, John Edwards et al —are exemplary figures of long-term excitement and engagement within this design field, who celebrate life and challenge the threat of mediocrity in the form. All participants in the film remain active with next games or ventures.
About the Sponsors
The Portland Indie Game Squad is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to supporting the health and continued expansion of game developer and enthusiast communities in Portland, the Pacific Northwest, and online. We provide events, resources, and networking activities for art and technology creatives. By investing in safe environments for student, hobbyist, and professional game developers, we serve the belief that community visibility and collaboration provides value to our education, relationships, and industry.
For more information, visit:
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH exists to serve the needs of the local computer graphics community. Through meetings, screenings, workshops, conferences, networking and other activities, the chapter works to promote an increased knowledge of and greater interest in the artistic, educational and scientific aspects and applications of technology to graphics, enhancing communication between colleagues that have and interest in any aspect of computer graphics.
For more information, visit:
- Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH Website
- Cascade SIGGRAPH Facebook
- Cascade SIGGRAPH Twitter
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our Team — Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH is a sponsor of GGJ 2017 Portland. We are interested in the broad field of Computer Graphics — game design and development, animation, visual design and graphics in film, education, web and all applications of CG. If you’d like leadership experience, to volunteer, or to just become a member, join this local chapter of an international organization — contact the chair at area 503, specifically 367 and 1522. We’ll be at GGJ on Friday!
Autodesk Hits Portland 2016
Come and learn about VR Workflow, Reality Capture, Remake, Maya, 3ds Max, Bifrost, XGen, Arnold and Motion Graphics
Tickets available at Eventbrite — register now for this free event
About the Sponsors and Partners that make this event possible
Best of Ottawa 2015
Enjoy the world’s most cutting-edge, thoughtful, funny and provocative animation films while mingling with the local animation community. Whether you love classic cartoons, mind-bending experiments, fantastic digital creations, dazzling effects, technical fireworks, thought provoking observations, or pure gut-busting fun, there is something for everyone and anyone at the Ottawa International Animation Festival (OlAF). For 40 years the OlAF has attracted film and animation buffs, art lovers and filmmakers from around the globe. You won’t want to miss this selection from one of the biggest animation festivals in the world.
- $7 General Admission / $3 Students
- Free for ASIFA Portland & Cascade SIGGRAPH members
- Free for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- PSU Parking Structure 1 — Enter on either Broadway or Sixth Avenue
- 1872 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon 97201
- Free after 5pm on Fridays
- The Five Minute Museum | 2015 | Paul Bush | Switzerland, UK | 6:20 | Best Experimental/Abstract Animation
- Yùl et le Serpent (Yùl and the Snake) | 2015 | Gabriel Harel | France | 13:12
- Loop Ring Chop Drink | 2014 | Nicolas Ménard | UK | 9:45 | Walt Disney Animation Prize for Best Graduation Animation & Award for Best Design
- Celestial Shore ‘Creation Myth’ | 2014 | Angela Stempel | USA | 3:03
- Violet | 2015 | Ryan Ines | USA | 5:56 | Best Undergraduate Animation
- Isand (The Master) | 2015 | Riho Unt | Estonia | 18:00 | Cartoon Network Prize for Best Narrative Short Animation
- Pig | 2015 | Steven Subotnick | USA | 3:20
- Unhappy Happy | 2015 | Peter Millard | UK | 7:07
- Small People With Hats | 2014 | Sarina Nihei | UK | 6:51 | Grand Prize for Best Independent Short Animation* & Prize for Best Sound * First Graduation Animation to ever win the OIAF Grand Prize
Shake your bootie at the launch of Design Lab, a Design Week open house. Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH, ASIFA Portland and Bent join forces to bring you an interactive dance party and tunes with DJ secret surprise and LightTroupe.
- April 20, Interactive Dance Party 7 to 10 pm
- Tunes with DJ Secret Surprise & Light Troupe
- Meet the Artists and Popup Art Gallery 4:30-6:30 pm
- Wacom Tablet GIVE-AWAY around 7 — must be present
- At Bent Offices, 2729 SE Division St., Portland, OR 97202
- Polite Sippers and Smart Noshes, hosted 4 to 7 pm
- Free admission with ticket: http://tinyurl.com/gmez9c2
- Volunteer Opportunity SIGN-UP.
We also need able bodies to help set up and tear down the dance space. If you can help in any way (driving, moving, running errands) please sign up here. Get involved in your community and give back with a good deed. You never know what it could lead to.
Parking is available on the street and Trimet bus #4 Division/Fesseden bus [to Gresham] goes right by Bent. There will be a big tent in the parking lot outside Bent, so come on in.
About Design Lab— BENT’s newly launched Design Lab is pushing the envelope in VFX and ID work with an emphasis on high end composition and a globe-trotting roster of artists and creative directors. https://2016.designweekportland.com/openhouses/bent-design-lab.
About ASIFA — ASIFA Portland exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. See http://www.asifaportland.org
About SIGGRAPH— Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH exists to serve the needs of the Oregon and Southwest Washington computer graphics community. Through meetings, screenings workshops, conferences, networking and other activities, the chapter works to promote an increased knowledge of and greater interest in the educational, artistic, and scientific aspects and applications of modern technology to graphics, enhancing communication between colleagues that have an interest in any aspect of computer graphics. See Facebook | email
Portland Christmas Ship Parade
Join Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and Affiliates for networking and good cheer: meet at McCormick and Schmidt’s Harborside Bar at the Waterfront Marina, 6:00 pm for a no host bar, drinks and food. Look for the SIGGRAPH table signs. Then watch the Christmas Ships Parade from the marina at 7:00 pm.
Kahlil Gibran’s the Prophet
with Joan Gratz
Highly recommended: Thursday December 3, 7:00pm @ Cinema 21, 616 NW 21st Ave, Portland 97209, FREE for ASIFA members.
Exiled artist and poet Mustafa embarks on a journey home with his housekeeper and her daughter; together the trio must evade the authorities who fear that the truth in Mustafa’s words will incite rebellion.
The Prophet, by celebrated Lebanese author Kahlil Gibran, is among the most popular volumes of poetry ever written. In this breathtaking feature film, eight of Gibran’s poems are interpreted by contemporary master animators — including Tomm Moore, Song of the Sea, Bill Plympton, Your Face, Nina Paley, Sita Sings the Blues, and Portland’s own Joan Gratz, Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase.
Oscar-winner Joan Gratz will be present to talk about this unique film collaboration, her segment in it On Work, and her pioneering development of “clay painting.”
Only ASIFA members may attend, but anyone may join! Pre-existing members simply check in at our lobby table. Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH members enjoy a $5 discount on their membership at the door. LAIKA employees & PNCA animation students show institutional ID. Free for children age 12 and under if accompanied by an ASIFA member parent. Seating is limited to 76 persons; first come, first served. Doors open at 6pm.
General membership $20, students and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH members $15 — it’s worth the price for this event alone! Join or renew here: www.asifaportland.org/join-asifa-portland.
Watch the teaser: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwQbMxDcRGE
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland celebrate international art film
ANIMAZIONI! reveals Italy’s contemporary animation scene through 17 short films. The devil, a beautiful woman, the staring eyes of a disembodied head… There is often a dream-like quality in these films, fleeting glimpses of mysterious spaces inhabited by nameless beings suspended in time. A painterly tradition shines through — but also a powerful impulse to break the chains of convention. Perhaps you’ve seen one of BLU’s colossal graffiti animations, where mutating giants scramble across the sides of actual buildings? (If not, you must!) You’ll see this along with a host of artists that won’t be experienced anywhere else. Giovanni Munari, an Italian animator traveling abroad, brought these films along with him in his suitcase, hoping to find an audience in the USA. Acting as Portland’s animation embassy, ASIFA and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH are proud to help share this rare, international gift.
Tickets and Transportation
- Tickets: $5 General Admission
- FREE for Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH & ASIFA Portland members
- FREE for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- Moments of explicit sexuality, not recommended for children
- 7:00 pm.
- There is parking on the street, and Tri-Met transit available. The address is:
- 5th Ave Cinema, 510 SW Hall St., Portland, OR 97201.
About ASIFA Portland
ASIFA Portland is the Portland, Oregon chapter of the international animation society, the Association International du Film d’Animation. ASIFA exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. We celebrate a decades-old animation scene known for groundbreaking independents, big-budget feature filmmaking, and a world-class animation festival.