Computer Animation Festival Showcase at NWAF
This year we are excited to kick off the NW Animation Festival at the Hollywood Theater, with a showcase of the SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival. The NW Animation Festival is one of North America’s largest Animation Festivals, right here in Portland.
Tickets and week-long passes will be available soon. Sign-up for for breaking festival news at the nwanimationfest.com website. In the meantime, take a look at this year’s lineup of shows and begin planning your personal animation bonanza.
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH presents…
2015 Computer Animation Festival
Come out and see an exploration of computer-generated animation and visual effects, being shown in Portland at The PCC Cascade Auditorium and be inspired by digital artists while enjoying outstanding achievements in animated feature and short films, scientific visualization, visual effects, real-time graphics, game excerpts, and much more!
This year, SIGGRAPH’s Computer Animation Festival celebrates its 42st year and is recognized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Since 1999, several works originally presented in the Computer Animation Festival have been nominated for or have received a Best Animated Short Academy Award.
You can support and be involved with the local CG community by being a (yearly) member or by attending one event at a time. Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH is offering discounts for sister organizations, affiliates and students — tickets are available online or at the door.
- Thursday, November 19,2015, 6:30 pm;
- Registration starts at 6:00 pm;
- PCC Cascade, Moriarty Arts Building Auditorium room 101, 705 N. Killingsworth Street (and Albina), Portland OR, 97217 (see map),
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-mdAdT1BI
- Members — FREE (always)
- Students or Affiliates (ASIFA, pigsquad, CHIFOO — $4.00 at the door (cash or check), with student ID or code
- General Admission — $9.00 at the door (cash or check)
- Online Tickets http://cascadesiggraphnov2015.eventbrite.com
Maps and Parking
Computer Animation Festival Showcase
Join us at the Northwest Animation Fest, the biggest animation show in the US
- Showcase at the NW Animation Fest
- May, 12, 2014, 7 – 9 pm,
- Hollywood Theater
- 4122 NE Sandy Blvd Portland OR, 97212
- Tickets: available online and at the door
- Bonus: Select Conference Pass to SIGGRAPH 2014 drawing*
Featured SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival
The annual SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival is one of the world’s most important showcases for innovative and visually stunning digital animation. Films that win honors here are qualified to compete for an Academy Award, and several in recent memory have either been nominated for or received an Oscar for “Best Animated Short.” Films chosen for this special “best of” show include narrative shorts, time-based art, visual effects, scientific visualization, and real-time graphics.
*Drawing: Select SIGGRAPH 2014 Passes
Added bonus: for those that attend and are members of the Chapter, we are excited to offer a raffle drawing during our April and May events for a Select SIGGRAPH 2014 Pass (the full conference, minus the reception). This is a great deal and worth $430! To be eligible, make sure your membership is current, you attend the event, and you pick up your raffle ticket during registration if you are interested in going to the conference in Vancouver BC, August 10‑14, 2014. Must be present and a member of the chapter (renew or join now) to win. Tickets: this event is free to Cascade SIGGRAPH members (goto http://wp.siggraph.org/cascade/en/join). Tickets to the NW Animation Fest are available online at . Since SIGGRAPH events are free to members of the chapter, show your receipt to the chair at the event to get reimbursed. Or tickets are available at the door of the Hollywood Theater (directions and map). Transportation: parking is available on the street around the Theater at 41st and NE Sandy. Public transit or carpooling is recommended.
About The NW Animation Fest
NW Animation Fest celebrates the best new work from independent animators around the globe. With over 200 films, it’s now the biggest animation festival in the USA. This year’s fest includes six Guest Shows, the Oregon Animation Industry Showcase, and five International Short Film Blocks. See it all for only $60 with an All-Festival Pass | BUY HERE.
*About The Select SIGGRAPH 2014 Conference Pass
Includes admission to the Art Gallery, Art Papers, Awards Presentation, Birds of a Feather, Computer Animation Festival-Daytime Selects, Computer Animation Festival-Electronic Theater, Dailies, Emerging Technologies, Exhibitor Tech Talks, Exhibits Fast Forward, International Resources, Job Fair, Keynote Session, Posters, Production Sessions, Real-Time Live!, Studio, Technical Papers Fast Forward, and all days of the Exhibition. Does not include reception ticket.
- 300’s Liquid Battlefield – SCANLINE VFX (Germany)
- Ark – Marcin Kobylecki, Grzegorz Jonkajtys, Producers (Poland)
- Burning Safari – Gobelins, l’Ã©cole de l’image (France)
- Capturing and Animating Skin Deformation – Carnegie Mellon University (USA)
- Children of Men – Framestore CFC (United Kingdowm)
- Dreammaker (Trailer) – Filmakademie Baden-WÃ¼rttemberg (Germany)
- En Tus Brazos – Supinfocom Valenciennes (France)
- equilibrio – New York University (USA)
- Formation of a Spiral Galaxy – National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (Japan)
- Game Technology 2007 – Playable Universal Capture 2007 Reel, Electronic Arts
- A Gentlemen’s Duel – Blur Studio (USA)
- Happiness Factory – PSYOP, Inc. (USA)
- High Fashion in Equations – MIRALab, University of Geneva (Switzerland)
- HP Hands “Paulo Coelho” – Motion Theory (USA)
- Industrial Light & Magic 2007 – Industrial Light & Magic (USA)
- The Itch – Bournemouth University (United Kingdom)
- Lifted – Pixar Animation Studios (USA)
- No Time For Nuts – Blue Sky Studios (USA)
- NVIDIA Real-Time Graphics Research: The GeForce 8 Demo Suite – NVIDIA Corporation (USA)
- Opening and Title Animations – florianwitzel.com (USA)
- Portal – Valve Corporation (USA)
- Raymond – The Mill (United Kingdom)
- The Recent Future Robot: HELPER Z – Katsuyuki Suzuki (Japan)
- Sears Tools “Arboretum” – Method Studios (USA)
- SIGGRAPH 2007 Papers Preview – Microsoft Research (USA)
- Spider-Man 3: VFX Highlights – Sony Pictures Imageworks (USA)
- STORM – Digital Domain, Inc. (USA)
- Surf’s Up: A Practical Guide to Making Waves – Sony Pictures Imageworks (USA)
- swirl – Lee Griggs (United Kingdom)
- Travelers: Snowball – Weta Digital Ltd. (New Zealand)
- U2 and Green Day “The Saints Are Coming” – Sway Studio (USA)
- A VFX Journey Through Pan’s Labyrinth With CafeFX – CafeFX, Inc. (USA)
- Vigorsol: The Legend – The Moving Picture Company (United Kingdom)
- World Trade Center – Double Negative (United Kingdom).