Tag: ASIFA Portland
Freelancer’s Toolbox III
Have you ever asked the internet how to do your taxes? Or how to sign up for health insurance? Much of freelancing is cobbling together resources and teaching yourself, but we wanted to cut some of those late night googling sessions by asking the experts. The Wacom Experience Center hosts as we answer questions about taxes, health insurance, finances, intellectual property, and any other business-related freelancing questions you may have. ’Tis the season, let’s talk business!
- Jonathan Bebe of Collaborative Financial Group
- Benjamin L. Petersen of the Nora Group
- Dane Johnson of Inspiration Spaceship
- Ben Luce of Soul Proprietor
- Xilia Mairead Faye of Soul Proprietor.
Wacom Experience Center
1455 NW Irving St, Portland, OR 97209
Saturday, February 25th 1pm-3pm
Sketch and Stretch
Life drawing is foundational in many creative disciplines, from 3D animation to fine art. Some of the most beautiful, moving art in history has its basis in figure drawing, from Leonardo DaVinci to Lucien Freud, on paper, canvas, and chapel ceilings. Disney Studios has provided figure drawing classes for their artists since 1932, and early computer animation didn’t truly start showing potential as a visual medium until John Lasseter, a young, talented Disney animator, brought his classically trained animation experience to the LucasFilm Computer Graphics Group. In the same way that relaxing and stretching is good for the body, even CG artists can benefit from relaxing and practicing life drawing.
Similarly, exercise disciplines like pilates and yoga develop the body’s core, the foundation of healthy movement. Dance, martial arts, and other physical disciplines are often the subject of art, and not only does practicing motion and timing make you a better animator, it makes you a healthier person.
Join Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland for the inaugural Sketch&Stretch, an afternoon of fitness and art, with opportunities for everyone to exercise, draw, or both. Keph Sherin, a gifted acrobat and fitness instructor, will lead two exercise sessions, each one hour long. Our yogis will also double as figure drawing models as we stretch our creative and literal muscles together. All shapes, sizes, and skill levels are welcome.
- $5 for members of Cascade SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland, on EventBrite or with cash
- $10 for the general public,
Irving Park on NE 7th and Fremont, NE 7th Ave, Portland, OR 97212
About Keph Sherin
Best of Ottawa 2015
Enjoy the world’s most cutting-edge, thoughtful, funny and provocative animation films while mingling with the local animation community. Whether you love classic cartoons, mind-bending experiments, fantastic digital creations, dazzling effects, technical fireworks, thought provoking observations, or pure gut-busting fun, there is something for everyone and anyone at the Ottawa International Animation Festival (OlAF). For 40 years the OlAF has attracted film and animation buffs, art lovers and filmmakers from around the globe. You won’t want to miss this selection from one of the biggest animation festivals in the world.
- $7 General Admission / $3 Students
- Free for ASIFA Portland & Cascade SIGGRAPH members
- Free for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- PSU Parking Structure 1 — Enter on either Broadway or Sixth Avenue
- 1872 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon 97201
- Free after 5pm on Fridays
- The Five Minute Museum | 2015 | Paul Bush | Switzerland, UK | 6:20 | Best Experimental/Abstract Animation
- Yùl et le Serpent (Yùl and the Snake) | 2015 | Gabriel Harel | France | 13:12
- Loop Ring Chop Drink | 2014 | Nicolas Ménard | UK | 9:45 | Walt Disney Animation Prize for Best Graduation Animation & Award for Best Design
- Celestial Shore ‘Creation Myth’ | 2014 | Angela Stempel | USA | 3:03
- Violet | 2015 | Ryan Ines | USA | 5:56 | Best Undergraduate Animation
- Isand (The Master) | 2015 | Riho Unt | Estonia | 18:00 | Cartoon Network Prize for Best Narrative Short Animation
- Pig | 2015 | Steven Subotnick | USA | 3:20
- Unhappy Happy | 2015 | Peter Millard | UK | 7:07
- Small People With Hats | 2014 | Sarina Nihei | UK | 6:51 | Grand Prize for Best Independent Short Animation* & Prize for Best Sound * First Graduation Animation to ever win the OIAF Grand Prize
Shake your bootie at the launch of Design Lab, a Design Week open house. Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH, ASIFA Portland and Bent join forces to bring you an interactive dance party and tunes with DJ secret surprise and LightTroupe.
- April 20, Interactive Dance Party 7 to 10 pm
- Tunes with DJ Secret Surprise & Light Troupe
- Meet the Artists and Popup Art Gallery 4:30-6:30 pm
- Wacom Tablet GIVE-AWAY around 7 — must be present
- At Bent Offices, 2729 SE Division St., Portland, OR 97202
- Polite Sippers and Smart Noshes, hosted 4 to 7 pm
- Free admission with ticket: http://tinyurl.com/gmez9c2
- Volunteer Opportunity SIGN-UP.
We also need able bodies to help set up and tear down the dance space. If you can help in any way (driving, moving, running errands) please sign up here. Get involved in your community and give back with a good deed. You never know what it could lead to.
Parking is available on the street and Trimet bus #4 Division/Fesseden bus [to Gresham] goes right by Bent. There will be a big tent in the parking lot outside Bent, so come on in.
About Design Lab— BENT’s newly launched Design Lab is pushing the envelope in VFX and ID work with an emphasis on high end composition and a globe-trotting roster of artists and creative directors. https://2016.designweekportland.com/openhouses/bent-design-lab.
About ASIFA — ASIFA Portland exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. See http://www.asifaportland.org
About SIGGRAPH— Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH exists to serve the needs of the Oregon and Southwest Washington computer graphics community. Through meetings, screenings workshops, conferences, networking and other activities, the chapter works to promote an increased knowledge of and greater interest in the educational, artistic, and scientific aspects and applications of modern technology to graphics, enhancing communication between colleagues that have an interest in any aspect of computer graphics. See Facebook | email
Animation Meet & Greet
Come out for networking and an all-around good time.
At Lucky Lab NW This Saturday, February 7, 2015, at 4:00 pm
Join us at the Lucky Lab Beer Hall (in Northwest) to grab a pint, share some stories, catch up on things and maybe meet some new faces. Portland’s ASIFA and SIGGRAPH chapters are teaming up to host this event — and everyone is welcome! Exchange business cards or just gossip about upcoming animated films… Let’s hang out and all talk about animation. Minors are allowed until 9pm.
There is parking on the street, and Tri-Met transit available. The address is:
Lucky Labrador Beer Hall,
1945 NW Quimby St., Portland, OR 97209
About ASIFA Portland
ASIFA Portland is the Portland, Oregon chapter of the international animation society, the Association International du Film d’Animation. ASIFA exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. We celebrate a decades-old animation scene known for groundbreaking independents, big-budget feature filmmaking, and a world-class animation festival. Visit www.asifaportland.org.
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland celebrate international art film
ANIMAZIONI! reveals Italy’s contemporary animation scene through 17 short films. The devil, a beautiful woman, the staring eyes of a disembodied head… There is often a dream-like quality in these films, fleeting glimpses of mysterious spaces inhabited by nameless beings suspended in time. A painterly tradition shines through — but also a powerful impulse to break the chains of convention. Perhaps you’ve seen one of BLU’s colossal graffiti animations, where mutating giants scramble across the sides of actual buildings? (If not, you must!) You’ll see this along with a host of artists that won’t be experienced anywhere else. Giovanni Munari, an Italian animator traveling abroad, brought these films along with him in his suitcase, hoping to find an audience in the USA. Acting as Portland’s animation embassy, ASIFA and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH are proud to help share this rare, international gift.
Tickets and Transportation
- Tickets: $5 General Admission
- FREE for Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH & ASIFA Portland members
- FREE for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- Moments of explicit sexuality, not recommended for children
- 7:00 pm.
- There is parking on the street, and Tri-Met transit available. The address is:
- 5th Ave Cinema, 510 SW Hall St., Portland, OR 97201.
About ASIFA Portland
ASIFA Portland is the Portland, Oregon chapter of the international animation society, the Association International du Film d’Animation. ASIFA exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. We celebrate a decades-old animation scene known for groundbreaking independents, big-budget feature filmmaking, and a world-class animation festival.
Animation Meet and GreetSaturday November 15 5:00-8:00pm Lucky Labrador Brew Pub 915 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97214 FREE Co-hosted by ASIFA Portland and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH
Join us at the Lucky Lab Brew Pub (in Southeast) to grab a pint, share some stories, catch up on things and maybe meet some new faces. Portland’s ASIFA and SIGGRAPH chapters are teaming up to host this event — and everyone is welcome! Exchange business cards or just gossip about upcoming animated films… Let’s hang out and all talk about animation.