HOMEBREW: A PDX Animation Showcase is an event long in the making. Celebrating recent works from the gamut of local animators, you’ll find the screening collection fun, refreshing and very Portland. Organized and moderated by Sophya Vidal, a long-standing member of the animation and theatre community, creative and thoughtful storytelling are at the core of the program. The screening will be followed by a panel with several of the creators, so bring your best questions and get to know your Portland Animation Ambassadors. This event is brought to you by The Animation resource Community Service (ARCS), Portland ASIFA, and Cascade SIGGRAPH. (3 hours).
Line-up includes works by Kurtis Hough, Beryl Allee, Curtis Randolph, and many more. Animation styles consist of Hand drawn 2D, 3D, Cut-out animation. Program is rated PG-13
- Festival Dates Sunday, Jan 22 AND January 29th @ 3pm
- Venue 5th Avenue Cinema, 510 SW Hall St. Portland, OR 97201
- Tickets General is$10; ASIFA/SIGGRAPH Members get in for $5.
- Purchase Tickets online or at the Door. We sold out last year, so get them early!
ARCS stands for Animation Community Resource Service and is a growing online resource community for animations and story-makers in Portland, OR. The goal is to bring more awareness (and creation) of creative events, resources, and networking activities with locals in mind. See Facebook page.
The SIGGRAPH 2016 COMPUTER ANIMATION FESTIVAL Traveling Show
with Emily Hsu
The SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival is the leading annual festival for the world’s most innovative, accomplished, and amazing digital film and video creators. An internationally recognized jury receives hundreds of submissions and presents the best work of the including outstanding achievements in animated feature and short films, scientific visualization, visual effects, real-time graphics, game excerpts, and much more. Since 1999, several works originally presented have been nominated for or have received a Best Animated Short Academy Award.
Emily Hsu, Production Sessions Chair for SIGGRAPH 2017 will speak about the CAF 2016 Traveling Show, some of the shorts, and submitting work to the festival.
- Date: Thursday, December
- Time: registration starts at 6:00, speaker at 6:30, then the screening
- Place: PCC Cascade Moriarty Arts Auditorium (MAHB room 104), 705 N Killingsworth St., Portland Oregon
- Tickets: available at EventBrite or at the door
- Free for current SIGGRAPH chapter members (join now) and PCC multimedia club members
- $4.00 (Discounted for) ASIFA members, Laika staff, students and affiliates
- $9.00 General Public
- Trailer: https://youtu.be/Uz6dh6Ky8p8with some extra content
- Transportation: parking available on the street and in lots: parking and mass transit recommended. See map.
Playlist: the Traveling Computer Animation Festival includes:
- Accidents, Blunders, and Calamities — James Cunningham
- Alike — Daniel Martinez Lara
- Glass Half — Blender Foundation
- Tea Time — Thomas Bourret, et al.
- Tokyo Cosmo — Takahiro Miyauchi
- Citipati — Andreas Feix
- Solar Superstorms — NCSA
- League of Legends Project Overdrive — Axis Animation
- Mafia III — Blur Studio
- Shell V-Power “Shapeshifter” — Framestore CFC
- Behind the Magic: Warcraft — Industrial Light & Magic
- Behind the Magic: Marvel’s Captain America Civil War — Industrial Light & Magic
- Les Marmottes Mariachi — Le Groupe Mikros Image
- None of That — Ringling College of Art and Design
- Escargore — Media Design School
- Crabe-Phare, Gaetan Borde, et al.
- Borrowed Time — Quorum Films, LLC
- Cosmos Laundromat — Blender Foundation
Running time: approximately 90 minutes
About the Speaker
Emily Hsu is the Production Sessions Chair for SIGGRAPH 2017 in Los Angeles (July 30 – August 3, 2017). She also happens to have a day job here in the Pacific Northwest as a Production Coordinator at LAIKA in Hillsboro, Oregon. Emily started out in the industry as a Recruiting Intern at PDI/DreamWorks, where she first learned about SIGGRAPH when half the company seemed to be out of the office during the week of the conference! The following year, she decided to join the fun and see what it was all about as a Student Volunteer for SIGGRAPH 2010 and quickly fell in love with the conference and all it had to offer, eventually volunteering more time as a Team Leader, a Subcommittee member, and now a Committee Chair. A graduate of UC Berkeley, she holds dual degrees in Business Admin and Film & Media Studies. Before becoming a proud member of the LAIKA team, she also had work experiences at companies including Pixar, Allied-THA, Sony DADC, and CBS Radio’s 99.7 NOW.
About the Local Chapter
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH serves the needs of local computer graphics industry professionals and students; to promote an increased knowledge of the educational, artistic, and scientific applications of modern technology for graphics; to enhance communication between persons in the field, that have an interest in aspects computer graphics. For more information on Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and membership, visit the Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH:
Best of Ottawa 2015
Enjoy the world’s most cutting-edge, thoughtful, funny and provocative animation films while mingling with the local animation community. Whether you love classic cartoons, mind-bending experiments, fantastic digital creations, dazzling effects, technical fireworks, thought provoking observations, or pure gut-busting fun, there is something for everyone and anyone at the Ottawa International Animation Festival (OlAF). For 40 years the OlAF has attracted film and animation buffs, art lovers and filmmakers from around the globe. You won’t want to miss this selection from one of the biggest animation festivals in the world.
- $7 General Admission / $3 Students
- Free for ASIFA Portland & Cascade SIGGRAPH members
- Free for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- PSU Parking Structure 1 — Enter on either Broadway or Sixth Avenue
- 1872 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon 97201
- Free after 5pm on Fridays
- The Five Minute Museum | 2015 | Paul Bush | Switzerland, UK | 6:20 | Best Experimental/Abstract Animation
- Yùl et le Serpent (Yùl and the Snake) | 2015 | Gabriel Harel | France | 13:12
- Loop Ring Chop Drink | 2014 | Nicolas Ménard | UK | 9:45 | Walt Disney Animation Prize for Best Graduation Animation & Award for Best Design
- Celestial Shore ‘Creation Myth’ | 2014 | Angela Stempel | USA | 3:03
- Violet | 2015 | Ryan Ines | USA | 5:56 | Best Undergraduate Animation
- Isand (The Master) | 2015 | Riho Unt | Estonia | 18:00 | Cartoon Network Prize for Best Narrative Short Animation
- Pig | 2015 | Steven Subotnick | USA | 3:20
- Unhappy Happy | 2015 | Peter Millard | UK | 7:07
- Small People With Hats | 2014 | Sarina Nihei | UK | 6:51 | Grand Prize for Best Independent Short Animation* & Prize for Best Sound * First Graduation Animation to ever win the OIAF Grand Prize
Luminary Kathy Zielinski
shares her work as an animator
Enjoy an evening with animation star Kathy Zielinski. She animated classic villains and heroes for over three decades at Disney, Dreamworks, and other major studios, working on dozens of feature films from the Little Mermaid to the Book of Life. She is currently exploring animation in live action feature and television projects.
Ms. Zelinski will present her journey in the art and business of animation, discuss working as a woman in a largely male art field, her transition from drawn-2D to 3D animation, and offer artistic and technical advice through her personal stories and visual history. She will show her stills and stunning classic animation.
Kathy is listed at the 50 Most Influential Disney Animators and one of the first women to have earned a credit of supervising animator on a Disney film. She is known for her work on Frozen (2013), How to Train Your Dragon (2010) and Kung Fu Panda (2008).
Don’t miss this rare and enlightening event at 5th Avenue Cinema:
- June 3rd at 7pm
- tickets are $8 for general public, $3 for current members of ASIFA and SIGGRAPH, at the door.
- 5th Avenue Cinema, 510 SW Hall St., Portland, OR 97201
Street parking is available. Multiple MAX light rail and bus lines run near the venue, so look for transportation going to the PSU campus.
ARCS, ASIFA Portland, and Cascade SIGGRAPH present
HOMEBREW: A PDX Animation Showcase
A FERTILE GROUND MEDIA ARTS EVENT
The inaugural HOMEBREW: A PDX Animation Showcase is an event long in the making. Celebrating recent works from the gamut of local animators, you’ll find the screening collection fun, refreshing and very Portland. Organized and moderated by Sophya Vidal, a long-standing member of the animation and theatre community, creative and thoughtful storytelling are at the core of the program. The screening will be followed by a panel with several of the creators; bring your best questions and get to know your Portland Animation Ambassadors. This event is brought to you by The Animation resource Community Service (ARCS), Portland ASIFA, and Cascade SIGGRAPH. (3 hours).
Line-up includes works by Temris Ridge, Curtis Randolph, Mike A. Smith, Kurtis Hough, Paul DeSilva, Laura Heit, Lori Damiano, John Summerson, Joanna Priestley, Tina T. Hsu, Ben Luce, Marylin Zornado, Kyle Stephens, Lars C Larsen, and Beryl Allee. Animation styles consist of Hand drawn 2D, 3D, Cut-out animation, Stop-motion puppet animation, and Motion graphic work. Program is rated PG.
Cooped by Mike Smith
- Festival Date: Sunday, Jan 24 @ 3pm
- Venue: 5th Avenue Cinema, 510 SW Hall St. Portland, OR 97201
- Tickets: General is $10; ASIFA/SIGGRAPH Members get in for $5.
- Purchase tickets: https://www.boxofficetickets.com/bot/wa/event?id=308003 or at the Door.
ARCS stands for Animation Community Resource Service and is a growing online resource community for animations and story-makers in Portland, OR. The goal is to bring more awareness (and creation) of creative events, resources, and networking activities with locals in mind. See:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/266429166874400/
About ASIFA Portland
ASIFA Portland is the local chapter of the International Animated Film Society: Association International du Film d’Animation. Our group exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting free exchange of ideas. See:
- Website http://www.asifaportland.org
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/asifa.portland/
- Twitter asifaportland.
About Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH
We exist to serve the needs of the computer graphics community. Through meetings, screenings, workshops, conferences, networking and other activities, the chapter works to promote an increased knowledge of and greater interest in the artistic, educational and scientific aspects and applications of technology to graphics, enhancing communication between colleagues that have and interest in any aspect of computer graphics. See:
- Website http://wp.siggraph.org/cascade
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Cascade-ACM-SIGGRAPH-380836065391787/
- Twitter cascadesiggraph
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Studio Ghibli Retrospective
Come to a screening and enter the rich, colorful worlds of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata at the OMSI Empirical Theater for a week-long Studio Ghibli Retrospective, presented by ASIFA and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH. From January 12-18 experience 11 fan and critic favorites in dubbed and subtitled versions, as well as the documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, screened . Mention your membership in either ASIFA or Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and receive a $1 discount on admission! (Available for box office or phone orders only)
Madison Russell, Vice Chair, SIGGRAPH gives a keynote presentation on Thursday night, Jan 14, 2016, 6:30 pm, at the Empirical Theater at OMSI, on the Studio Ghibli and other Directors. At 7:00 pm enjoy the Kingdom of Dreams and Madness documentary, along with insight and photographs of her visit to the museum in Mitaka, Japan.
The entire screening line-up includes:
• Grave of the Fireflies
• The Tale of Princess Kaguya
• Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
• Spirited Away
• The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
• Castle in the Sky
• Kiki’s Delivery Service
• Porco Rosso
• Princess Mononoke
• My Neighbor Totoro
• The Secret World of Arrietty
• Howl’s Moving Castle.
Location and Transportation
The Empirical Theater, OMSI, 1945 SE Water Ave., Portland Oregon 97214: parking is available in the OMSI parking lot. Bussing and carpooling is encouraged. Use the Portland Streetcar B Loop and Bus Routes 9 and 15 nearby.
Established in 1985 by Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takhata, and Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli is frequently referred to as the “Disney of Japan.” Producing memorable, quirky films of the highest imaginative caliber, four films have been nominated for Academy Awards. Spirited Away is the only anime, non-English speaking, and traditionally animated Academy Award winner for Best Animated Feature.
Kahlil Gibran’s the Prophet
with Joan Gratz
Highly recommended: Thursday December 3, 7:00pm @ Cinema 21, 616 NW 21st Ave, Portland 97209, FREE for ASIFA members.
Exiled artist and poet Mustafa embarks on a journey home with his housekeeper and her daughter; together the trio must evade the authorities who fear that the truth in Mustafa’s words will incite rebellion.
The Prophet, by celebrated Lebanese author Kahlil Gibran, is among the most popular volumes of poetry ever written. In this breathtaking feature film, eight of Gibran’s poems are interpreted by contemporary master animators — including Tomm Moore, Song of the Sea, Bill Plympton, Your Face, Nina Paley, Sita Sings the Blues, and Portland’s own Joan Gratz, Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase.
Oscar-winner Joan Gratz will be present to talk about this unique film collaboration, her segment in it On Work, and her pioneering development of “clay painting.”
Only ASIFA members may attend, but anyone may join! Pre-existing members simply check in at our lobby table. Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH members enjoy a $5 discount on their membership at the door. LAIKA employees & PNCA animation students show institutional ID. Free for children age 12 and under if accompanied by an ASIFA member parent. Seating is limited to 76 persons; first come, first served. Doors open at 6pm.
General membership $20, students and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH members $15 — it’s worth the price for this event alone! Join or renew here: www.asifaportland.org/join-asifa-portland.
Watch the teaser: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwQbMxDcRGE
Animation Meet & Greet
Come out for networking and an all-around good time.
At Lucky Lab NW This Saturday, February 7, 2015, at 4:00 pm
Join us at the Lucky Lab Beer Hall (in Northwest) to grab a pint, share some stories, catch up on things and maybe meet some new faces. Portland’s ASIFA and SIGGRAPH chapters are teaming up to host this event — and everyone is welcome! Exchange business cards or just gossip about upcoming animated films… Let’s hang out and all talk about animation. Minors are allowed until 9pm.
There is parking on the street, and Tri-Met transit available. The address is:
Lucky Labrador Beer Hall,
1945 NW Quimby St., Portland, OR 97209
About ASIFA Portland
ASIFA Portland is the Portland, Oregon chapter of the international animation society, the Association International du Film d’Animation. ASIFA exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. We celebrate a decades-old animation scene known for groundbreaking independents, big-budget feature filmmaking, and a world-class animation festival. Visit www.asifaportland.org.
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland celebrate international art film
ANIMAZIONI! reveals Italy’s contemporary animation scene through 17 short films. The devil, a beautiful woman, the staring eyes of a disembodied head… There is often a dream-like quality in these films, fleeting glimpses of mysterious spaces inhabited by nameless beings suspended in time. A painterly tradition shines through — but also a powerful impulse to break the chains of convention. Perhaps you’ve seen one of BLU’s colossal graffiti animations, where mutating giants scramble across the sides of actual buildings? (If not, you must!) You’ll see this along with a host of artists that won’t be experienced anywhere else. Giovanni Munari, an Italian animator traveling abroad, brought these films along with him in his suitcase, hoping to find an audience in the USA. Acting as Portland’s animation embassy, ASIFA and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH are proud to help share this rare, international gift.
Tickets and Transportation
- Tickets: $5 General Admission
- FREE for Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH & ASIFA Portland members
- FREE for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- Moments of explicit sexuality, not recommended for children
- 7:00 pm.
- There is parking on the street, and Tri-Met transit available. The address is:
- 5th Ave Cinema, 510 SW Hall St., Portland, OR 97201.
About ASIFA Portland
ASIFA Portland is the Portland, Oregon chapter of the international animation society, the Association International du Film d’Animation. ASIFA exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. We celebrate a decades-old animation scene known for groundbreaking independents, big-budget feature filmmaking, and a world-class animation festival.
2014 Computer Animation Festival
Wacom IntuosPro M tablet giveway! Register now to attend the CAF and be entered in a drawing for a free Wacom Tablet. Must be present and registered to win. Wacom will be attending with a hands-on work station where you can try their latest products.Screening Information
Thursday, October 23, 2014, 6:30 pm; Registration starts at 6:00 pm; PCC’s Cascade Moriarty Arts Building Auditorium room 104 (see local map) Tickets http://cascadesiggraphoct2014.eventbrite.com; Trailer http://youtu.be/Hmmlsx7rZHU; Contact email@example.com or 503-367-1522.Admission Members are always free; General Public tickets are $9.00; students and affiliates enjoy a $5.00 discount with ID for a reduced price of $4.00. See information at the ticketing page: Eventbrite. Local Map