Tag: 5th Ave. Cinema
Best of Ottawa 2015
Enjoy the world’s most cutting-edge, thoughtful, funny and provocative animation films while mingling with the local animation community. Whether you love classic cartoons, mind-bending experiments, fantastic digital creations, dazzling effects, technical fireworks, thought provoking observations, or pure gut-busting fun, there is something for everyone and anyone at the Ottawa International Animation Festival (OlAF). For 40 years the OlAF has attracted film and animation buffs, art lovers and filmmakers from around the globe. You won’t want to miss this selection from one of the biggest animation festivals in the world.
- $7 General Admission / $3 Students
- Free for ASIFA Portland & Cascade SIGGRAPH members
- Free for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- PSU Parking Structure 1 — Enter on either Broadway or Sixth Avenue
- 1872 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon 97201
- Free after 5pm on Fridays
- The Five Minute Museum | 2015 | Paul Bush | Switzerland, UK | 6:20 | Best Experimental/Abstract Animation
- Yùl et le Serpent (Yùl and the Snake) | 2015 | Gabriel Harel | France | 13:12
- Loop Ring Chop Drink | 2014 | Nicolas Ménard | UK | 9:45 | Walt Disney Animation Prize for Best Graduation Animation & Award for Best Design
- Celestial Shore ‘Creation Myth’ | 2014 | Angela Stempel | USA | 3:03
- Violet | 2015 | Ryan Ines | USA | 5:56 | Best Undergraduate Animation
- Isand (The Master) | 2015 | Riho Unt | Estonia | 18:00 | Cartoon Network Prize for Best Narrative Short Animation
- Pig | 2015 | Steven Subotnick | USA | 3:20
- Unhappy Happy | 2015 | Peter Millard | UK | 7:07
- Small People With Hats | 2014 | Sarina Nihei | UK | 6:51 | Grand Prize for Best Independent Short Animation* & Prize for Best Sound * First Graduation Animation to ever win the OIAF Grand Prize
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland celebrate international art film
ANIMAZIONI! reveals Italy’s contemporary animation scene through 17 short films. The devil, a beautiful woman, the staring eyes of a disembodied head… There is often a dream-like quality in these films, fleeting glimpses of mysterious spaces inhabited by nameless beings suspended in time. A painterly tradition shines through — but also a powerful impulse to break the chains of convention. Perhaps you’ve seen one of BLU’s colossal graffiti animations, where mutating giants scramble across the sides of actual buildings? (If not, you must!) You’ll see this along with a host of artists that won’t be experienced anywhere else. Giovanni Munari, an Italian animator traveling abroad, brought these films along with him in his suitcase, hoping to find an audience in the USA. Acting as Portland’s animation embassy, ASIFA and Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH are proud to help share this rare, international gift.
Tickets and Transportation
- Tickets: $5 General Admission
- FREE for Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH & ASIFA Portland members
- FREE for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- Moments of explicit sexuality, not recommended for children
- 7:00 pm.
- There is parking on the street, and Tri-Met transit available. The address is:
- 5th Ave Cinema, 510 SW Hall St., Portland, OR 97201.
About ASIFA Portland
ASIFA Portland is the Portland, Oregon chapter of the international animation society, the Association International du Film d’Animation. ASIFA exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. We celebrate a decades-old animation scene known for groundbreaking independents, big-budget feature filmmaking, and a world-class animation festival.