April SIGGRAPH Cascade – Board Meeting Minutes- April 15th 2014 In attendance: Demetra Christina Wes Paul (remotely) Demetra makes a motion to remove the old officers from the bank account, which include Beverly Standish and Daniel Sabin, and add Wes Cropper. Paul is on the phone remotely. Christina seconds the motion, and every officer approves it to pass. The motion is now passed. Events: April 30th, Wednesday, Auditorium Moriarty Arts Building PCC Cascade – 3d Printing from speaker Rob Ducey Christina will put the event online tomorrow once it is approved. Demetra is adding everyone to the e-mail list that signed in during our last event. Paul is using Caligator to get the word out to a ton of people about the next event. Demetra will be updating the SIGGRAPH Cascade website. Christina will take care of using Twitter and Facebook to get the word out. Wes and Demetra will put together a treasurers report. There are normally three report, Vice Chair, Treasurers Report (money), and Secretaries Report (membership) May 12th, NW Animation Festival, Monday of the festival – Hollywood Theater We are able to use the upstairs auditorium for the SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival and split the proceeds with the Hollywood Theater. In order to meet the membership values we have we can provide reimbursement for members who show their receipt. Post mortem from the last event: trouble with signing up membership. Tell people to do it online beforehand. New format for future events: Pre-registration: 5:30pm Registration / Meet and Mingle: 6:00pm Event” 6:30pm Christina – “This is a great time to renew your membership, Rob Ducey from Laika is worth it!” Renew membership stuff with a message like this. We make a motion to buy a new stamp pad for the events in the future. Treasurers report: $210 deposit $100 for box cash for events. Move to close down the post office box we currently have and move it to the PO BOX that Demetra has. Wes wants to create a report for every time we have a board meeting. Action Items: Everyone: Come up with a June event! Demetra: Print out list ahead of time showing different members (current and not current) and bring to the next event this month Map on eventbrite needs to be clearer in the announcement and we need to include a map attachment to the thing itself. Find out ticket pricing for the Hollywood theater Complete the memberships with Wes for the SIGGRAPH chapter Create a Google Group for the SIGGRAPH Cascade Board Members / Officers Christina Send out the need to re-new notice to everyone before the event on the cascade Siggraph page Add a renew membership stuff on the Facebook event when I create it Buy a new stamp pad for future events, and bring receipt to get reimbursement to April event Send a formal request to Patrick to shut down the SIGGRAPH twitter account, send it with a date to Patrick, give him a week to do it. Or he could hand over the credentials to me.
SIGGRAPH – Cascade Chapter – March 18th 2014 In Attendance: Demetra Wes Christina Demetra is showing up at the event at 5:00pm, 5:30pm is when volunteers are showing up. So I will need to be there ASAP on Friday. Set up a table to keep track of everyone who is there with clipboards. Secretary is to do the sign in and taking information. Christina needs to member to bring in the membership sheets if she wants to to the event. Registration forms and membership forms are for Christina. Christina needs to do social media stuff every night this week to get the word out. Send information to Adi, Alison at Thetus and everyone at Convergence Training about the event Friday evening about the event and that everyone should come along. Secretary (me) needs to send out renewels to people who came to the event. Need to do data entry to the list. Talk to Demetra about how to do this. Vice chair takes care of the food for the events, etc. Christina try bugging Patrick about the Animation Festival. Christina needs to go to Facebook and create an ACM Siggraph business page on Facebook. No reciprocal links, send out Facebook stuff, hook it to the SIGGRAPH website. New event leads from Demetra: Demetra knows someone who works for Disney. Guy at Laika who is an expert on 3d printing and wants to do an event about it. Thinking about going to the SIGGRAPH get together in Vancouver Canada. Action Items: -Come to event on Friday (everyone) Christina
- Social media outreach and e-mails to everyone about event on Friday.
- Christina and Demetra will get into membership database and update it with everyone’s new membership information
Demetra / Wes
- Go to the bank to deposit money and work out treasurer information
Board Meeting Dates for this coming quarter: Palio Coffeehouse
- April 8th at 6:00pm
- May 6th at 6:00pm
- June 10th at 6:00pm
SIGGRAPH Cascade Board Meeting – February 2014 Minutes 2/18/2014 In attendance: -Demetra -Christina -Paul -Wes Topics for discussion: – Social Media Policy / – Website updates / – Upcoming Events / – Treasury Paul will be handling the issues we have with the website, he needs the information to access it however. Demetra will issue that to him. We need to change / move the background image so that it is more aesthetically appealing. Paul is happy to handle the aesthetic issues we have with it. Social media policy needs to be discussed and then rolled out for twitter, facebook, etc to up our presence online. What is needed on a social media policy?
- Relevance to chapter only
- No personal anything on posts / tweets
- No politics, no religion related posts on any social media platform
- Approval is needed for posts; we need to decide what posts need what over site or approval.
Facebook / Twitter feed to the side of the Chapter’s website + icons to link to the social media platforms themselves. Maybe sign up for an Instagram account? LinkedIn is important for professional development and so we need a presence on LinkedIn to make that happen. Paul will create a photoshop mockup of the new website. Use Demetera’s logo for the chapter and integrate it into branding for social media platforms. Logo under the JOIN page on the website has the scheme we are going now. Demetra is going to fix the logo herself. Christina will handle redoing the logo for the chapter to make it more appealing and bring drafts next month for the chapter’s officers to review and comment on. Approvals for posts / tweets: How? When? Twitter is used for what? Facebook is used for what? Comment policy on Facebook. Policy for connecting on Facebook and creating offshoot groups from the page itself. We need to create a policy before we start implementing. Christina with draft a policy and have officers review it next month as well. Eventbrite is good. Perhaps hook that up through facebook as well to streamline everything and make it more efficient. Multiple admins might be good for the social media. Christina needs to delete the stupid posts about dating on the Facebook that someone else left there on accident. – March 21st in a Friday – Auditorium at PCC Cascade – 6:00pm (officers need to be there at 5:30) Second Story event on Interactive Design. Or an event about Portlandia and motion graphics. Grimm production / cg transition lecture. Second Story is probably most likely to be the ones to present from what we know so far. 6:00 – 8:30pm ← event time – May 15th – Northwest Animation Festival – Hollywood Theater Sven has reserved an auditorium for the Computer Animation Festival from ACM. We can market / advertise there a bit. Secretary will take care of membership for the chapter. Demetra and Christina will set a time to get together and go over membership management for Christina to handle since she isn’t familiar with it. Events for April and June are still needed. The chapter has a PO Box that needs to be switched to Wilsonville area to receive money from new members. Calls to Action for the next month from everyone——- All
- How much / what we want to do for the Vancouver conference for SIGGRAPH this year
- E-mail logo to Christina
- Meet with Wes in Wilsonville for eventbrite and banking / PO Box
- Meet with Christina before / after next board meeting for membership login info
- E-mail the contact of Jenny Dana to everyone
- Start running elections for Officers this month
- Draft social media policy
- Talk to Jenny Dana about the membership program for ACM / SIGGRAPH
- Needs password
- Talk to Jenny Dana about the WordPress theme and start dialogue about changing the current theme for the website.
- Needs password for treasury stuff in order to start up
12/10/2013 Cascade Siggraph Board Meeting Minutes In Attendance: Demetra Christina Demetra and Sven talked about having some joint ASIFA and SIGGRAPH events in Feb, March, April,
- One is a BYOA (bring your own art) event with call for artist, contact Damien Lopez
- One is Portlandia related motion graphics event
- Showcasing Grimm, with someone talking about the process.
As secretary I can contact the SIGGRAPH main board and ask for website changes. Demetra got Christina a login for the WordPress site and paid fo the ACM membership. Calls to action: Christina
- Christina needs to update the membership database
- Christina needs to contact Damien about his process of organizing the event at the Analog
- Christina needs to upload the minutes to the website
- Christina needs to join the local chapter
- Need to join ACM in january
- Need to get together with Sven about events
- Need to meet with all the people that want to be on the board
- Wes Cropper wants to be the treasurer
- Lauren wants to be the publications director
- Monique wants to be a board member at large
- AJ might want to be a member, but need to ask his wife id she’d be interested
- Tuesday meeting at McCormick and Schmidts
Palio Cafe in SE Portland – for the next board meetings:
- January, Tuesday the 14th 2014
- February the 11th 2014
- March the 11th 2014
This is a better location for more people, including Patrick who would really like to come.
ACM SIGGRAPH Cascade Minutes Board Meeting 11/5/2013 Attending
- Sven Bonnichsen
- Jeffrey Sens
- Will Lewis
- Demetra Gilmore Arnett
- Christina Beard
- Patrick Coan (attending via Skype)
- Rob Bekuhrs
Pixel Arts, Games for Change, PIGsquad are organizations in town that Will and Jeffrey are both apart of. We are trying to come up with some ideas for events to run for the next year in entertainment, networking, studio involvement, festival, etc etc. Sven is looking for video game sequences / animation / in game cinematics for a festival idea or an event. Pigsquad developers are more hobbist then serious about cinematic creation and submission. Try a game jam around it. Sven and Will might want to collaborate about this in the future and involve SIGGRAPH. Global Game Jam in January. Games and the internet. Portals on the internet are mostly for browser base games on the internet. To be able to play something that isn’t as big as you usually put on your console. Portals are an easier avenue for smaller / free games. Some portals
Rob worked on a game called Forge, it was featured on Steam, but the massive volume of sales offset the initial launch issues. Valve is the company who started this. You can sell virtual goods on this portal, like hats in Team Fortress 2. Thinking of going through the things we have established for events and then brainstorming: Brainstorming Session:
- Autodesk event coming to town but six other organization are coming with tables. It is happening on November 20th. The main person putting that on is 3DV, mission theater. It’s well set up, it’s on the website to sign up.
- November 30th, Light Troupe, Symphony of Light. Real time use of a sketch pad to project light onto a building. It’s a holiday event.
- Downtown portland, room reserved at a bar, we want the second Tuesday of the month and have a board meeting that day as well.
- January; global game jam / PIGsquad event.
- Meeting before the main SIGGRAPH
- Events are open from February / March / April, etc
- The Northwest Animation Festival is going into it’s 4th year. Planning for a seven day event, reserved an upstairs auditorium for six two hour slots. Intended to be a reunion for the animation community event. Showreel for whole Oregon animation industry.
- Friday – Sunday has 150 films. Student field trip. Something for the whole region to just converge onto. Want SIGGRAPH to get an auditorium to do something with. Sounds good to Demetra.
- Dark Horse and Laika, advise is always to see them at a convention if you want to get work, maybe have an event / make it apart of the Northwest Animation Festival.
- Retrospective about the PJ’s in January with Rob Bekuhrs
- Ran for three years, want to revisit it, anecdotes, puppets, talking about the experience and the show. Need to look into the legality of it.
- Potential speakers: Laura Heit; animation sketchbook.
- Tie ins with Portlandia and Grimm – local shows, etc. Might be a great co-sponsor opportunity. Need to look into it.
- PIGsquad did a designweek event in town.
- Lynchpin of Asifa’s stuff is around August with the summer social.
- Stratacut event
- Mike A Smith’s film “Cooped” WIP show of his film on December 7th.
- Benjamin Bremmar feature length film about a Bear and Mouse at Cinema 21 on November 19th. In order to get him into town, had to make a deal to get him into town by promising only members will see the film, trying to currently recruit members.
Right now we need a list on the home page showing other organization events. Sven etc gives permission.
Animated Arts PDX in happening tomorrow, Wednesday at 8:30pm.
Three areas to overlap in the local community. Get someone from Portlandia and Grimm to talk about the process, etc.
Sketching in part of the process of computer graphics and this relevant to SIGGRAPH cascade.
Need one more in June, Will might do another Game Jam in june. Will was approached by a software company called Click Team. Offered space, free food, sponsorship, etc. Trying to get it so that PIGsquad does three jams a year. Might want collaborators but Will isn’t sure yet. Need to figure it out in the next two weeks.
Bring your own art. Allowed people to come and show their art live at a show. Had people come from Second Story. Is a big huge art show during First Thursday. Have an artshow as a goal to shoot for.
There is a group that meets up every month called Attack of the Flix. They hold it in NE off of Grand and Alberta. Filmmakers bring in their films between 5 and 6, people vote at there end for their favorites and it’s a cool exposure opportunity and inclusiveness opportunity. Maybe collaborate with the NW Animation Fest? Film has to be under 10 minutes. Curious Comedy Theater.
Event is large enough so you can have the theater for the whole day.
Will has done video game tournaments on a theater screen. Might be neat.
Let’s Play video online with Youtube. The Neverhood. 1994 game / claymation game. Might be really fun to watch.
Recurring event with SIGGRAPH is a drink and draw event.
Animated Arts drink and draw event tomorrow.
The Secret Society might be a good venue for something. Moth Radio Hour done there. It is a Radio show via NPR.
Games for change: loosely organized, not a lot going on right now, but trying to coordinate an autism in games event. Youth in games initiatives. Will says it’s very sexy.
We’ve got four pilots in East and North Portland. Multnomah County Library is this month. They serve at risk youth. Three games camps in spring, summer and fall.
Two are five days long. Art / Animation, gamedesign and programming.
They have a lot going on, a lot of stuff not rolling out until next fall.
Five outstanding schools asking for services and support. Need to get enough qualified mentors to be the leads and guides. Volunteer based.
Portland Youth Builders has a youth media program, trying to build a collaboration with them. Apprecticeship program. Connects students to worlds of work. Teaching soft skills / maturity, looking for paid internships for these students. Linking up with boarder moves at the state level. Partner’s in a couple of different organizations.
Art Therapy / Film Therapy partners involved. Combo of tech and arts driving it.
Priority for Jeffrey is letting the community self organize.
Siggraph could list Games for Change’s events on their event page. Send Jeffrey an e-mail to learn more about it.
Will asks if there are any venues in town that are good, here is what we brainstormed:
5th Ave Cinema
Art Institute of Portland
University of Oregon – white stag building in downtown
University of Portland (tentative, will doesn’t recommend yet)
Multnomah Arts Center
ITT Tech (is kind of out there though)
Stage 13 (Reel Love event via Rob Bekuhrs, good for networking)
Second Story (used to have flash developers meetings)
Backspace (losing license for bands to play, they needs more butts in the seats, Backspace would shift prices, timing, etc according to Will, be weary)
Multnomah Library (they need a month’s notice however, central needs 3 months notice)
Beaverton Public Library (has a great public auditorium)
Lucky Lab (NW one is really good, they have a side room that you can reserve / other options for money, but all of them have a side room. Sometimes they play music really loud)
Use Calagator for event spamming around town, it’s really good for it. It’s an opensource tech by people in Portland.
Barcamp Portland – users are the ones who decide the schedule and conferences for this. Talk to Jeffrey and Will about this and how it works. They planned a few events through it and it’s great! It is free, but they want people to RSVP. Google barcamp portland about it to get more info on it. E-mail Will and Jeffrey about their experiences.
Monique Stabler might be a good person for the board. Might be up for a leadership role. Demetra will contact her.