Archive for June, 2016
Sketch and Stretch
Life drawing is foundational in many creative disciplines, from 3D animation to fine art. Some of the most beautiful, moving art in history has its basis in figure drawing, from Leonardo DaVinci to Lucien Freud, on paper, canvas, and chapel ceilings. Disney Studios has provided figure drawing classes for their artists since 1932, and early computer animation didn’t truly start showing potential as a visual medium until John Lasseter, a young, talented Disney animator, brought his classically trained animation experience to the LucasFilm Computer Graphics Group. In the same way that relaxing and stretching is good for the body, even CG artists can benefit from relaxing and practicing life drawing.
Similarly, exercise disciplines like pilates and yoga develop the body’s core, the foundation of healthy movement. Dance, martial arts, and other physical disciplines are often the subject of art, and not only does practicing motion and timing make you a better animator, it makes you a healthier person.
Join Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland for the inaugural Sketch&Stretch, an afternoon of fitness and art, with opportunities for everyone to exercise, draw, or both. Keph Sherin, a gifted acrobat and fitness instructor, will lead two exercise sessions, each one hour long. Our yogis will also double as figure drawing models as we stretch our creative and literal muscles together. All shapes, sizes, and skill levels are welcome.
- $5 for members of Cascade SIGGRAPH and ASIFA Portland, on EventBrite or with cash
- $10 for the general public,
Irving Park on NE 7th and Fremont, NE 7th Ave, Portland, OR 97212
About Keph Sherin
Best of Ottawa 2015
Enjoy the world’s most cutting-edge, thoughtful, funny and provocative animation films while mingling with the local animation community. Whether you love classic cartoons, mind-bending experiments, fantastic digital creations, dazzling effects, technical fireworks, thought provoking observations, or pure gut-busting fun, there is something for everyone and anyone at the Ottawa International Animation Festival (OlAF). For 40 years the OlAF has attracted film and animation buffs, art lovers and filmmakers from around the globe. You won’t want to miss this selection from one of the biggest animation festivals in the world.
- $7 General Admission / $3 Students
- Free for ASIFA Portland & Cascade SIGGRAPH members
- Free for LAIKA employees & PNCA animation majors (show badge or school ID)
- PSU Parking Structure 1 — Enter on either Broadway or Sixth Avenue
- 1872 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon 97201
- Free after 5pm on Fridays
- The Five Minute Museum | 2015 | Paul Bush | Switzerland, UK | 6:20 | Best Experimental/Abstract Animation
- Yùl et le Serpent (Yùl and the Snake) | 2015 | Gabriel Harel | France | 13:12
- Loop Ring Chop Drink | 2014 | Nicolas Ménard | UK | 9:45 | Walt Disney Animation Prize for Best Graduation Animation & Award for Best Design
- Celestial Shore ‘Creation Myth’ | 2014 | Angela Stempel | USA | 3:03
- Violet | 2015 | Ryan Ines | USA | 5:56 | Best Undergraduate Animation
- Isand (The Master) | 2015 | Riho Unt | Estonia | 18:00 | Cartoon Network Prize for Best Narrative Short Animation
- Pig | 2015 | Steven Subotnick | USA | 3:20
- Unhappy Happy | 2015 | Peter Millard | UK | 7:07
- Small People With Hats | 2014 | Sarina Nihei | UK | 6:51 | Grand Prize for Best Independent Short Animation* & Prize for Best Sound * First Graduation Animation to ever win the OIAF Grand Prize
Summer Ice Cream Social
ASIFA – SIGGRAPH Picnic in St Johns. Hang with pros, veterans and students of local animation and computer graphics, and enjoy drinks, ice cream, socializing, good times, a raffle, a silent auction, BBQ and or course ice cream.
Fundraising items such as a Portland area boat ride and Art donated by our members. All friends, family and friendly dogs welcome.
Sunday, July 31, from 1 to 4pm
The Historic Ranger Station (an official Pokemon stop)
8525 N. Central, Portland, OR 97203