NW Animation Festival
for more information visit www.nwanimationfest.com
When purchasing tickets online, use the promo code SIGGRAPH for $5.00 off.
NW Animation Fest is a variety show that celebrates the best new work from independent animators around the globe. Our 2013 event includes 155 films from 30 countries — hilarious, dramatic, strange and inspiring.See the festival May 17−19 at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland, Oregon
The Hollywood Theatre is located at NE 41st and NE Sandy in Portland, Oregon (4122 NE Sandy Blvd, 97212) View map.
Visit Cascade SIGGRAPH at the Cascade PCC Campus
to hear the featured speaker, Susan Watson talk about
Should I work for myself or Someone Else?2:00, April 30, 2013 Cascade PCC Moriarty Arts Building, room 215 705 N. Killingsworth St. Portland, OR 97217 | campus map | directions | TriMet
Global Game Jam Post Mortem
The Global Game Jam 2013
We are once again this year part of the Global Game Jam with collocated and synchronous events at over 3100 sites. The Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH chapter, Portland Indie Game Squad (PIGSquad http://pigsquad.com) and Portland Games for Change (http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Games-for-Change/) are collaborating to organize this year’s GGJ.
There will be special surprise guests, the keynote and prompt at 5:00 pm on Friday. January 27, 2013. Participants will work round the clock for 48 hours and include artists, musicians, game developers, programmers, designers, writers, etc.
Transportation and Location There is parking on the street, and under the AI building. The address is: Portland Art Institute, rooms 263, (202, and 201) 1122 NW Davis Street Portland Oregon, 97211.
Join us for good times at the McMennamin’s Kennedy School, December 14, at 7:00 pm in the restaurant. Ask for the reserved SIGGRAPH table.
RSVP and register for “Autodesk Hits Portland 2.0” by going to eventbrite.com. There are a limited number of free tickets available.
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH presents…
a leading annual festival for the most innovative, accomplished, and amazing digital film and video creators. Juried selections include time-based art, scientific visualization, visual effects, real-time graphics, and narrative shorts.
- Thursday, Oc tober 18, 2012, 6:30 pm;
- PCC’s Cascade, Moriarty Arts Building Auditorium
- Tickets: http://cascadesiggraphoct2012.eventbrite.com
- Trailer http://s2012.siggraph.org/attendees/computer-animation-festival/computer-animation-festival-video-preview.
- Members — FREE
- General Admission — $8.00
- Students —$6.00 with student ID
Made Possible with Support from:
- 3dv, Kurt Macey
- PCC’s Multimedia Dept., Greg Walters
The NW Animation Festival
Best of Fest: at the Hollywood Theatre
- Visit www.nwanimationfest.com to buy tickets
- Hollywood Theatre, 4122 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland OR 97212
- Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm.
The Northwest Animation Festival proudly presents this year’s audience favorites. See 16 films from around the world at this special one-night-only event. Highlights include Oscar contenders and the 2012 Academy Award winner for Best Animated Short.
- General Admission $10.00
- Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH Members $8.00 — use code “SIGGRAPH” to get a $2.00 discount.
Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH, 3dpdx and ASIFA present
From Clay to ZBrush
ZBrush Guru Cesar Dacol Jr. shows the parallels between traditional and digital sculpting and his latest techniques for bringing concepts to life for Games and Film
- Friday, August 24, 2012
- Seating is limited so please reserve your seat at EventBrite
- The Art Institute of Portland
- Registration, appetizers and networking starts at 5:00 pm; Demo at 6:00 pm
- Cesar’s Website: http://www.cesar-dacol-jr.com/
- Cesar’s YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIBjInCfRO6pttl0YDVTlAw/videos
- Chapter Membership: https://campus.acm.org/public/qj/chapqj/chapqj_control.cfm?chap=46075.
From Clay to ZBush is a 3-hour demo guiding participants through the technical aspects of conceiving, preparing and sculpting a high quality digital model. Cesar will impart his many years of experience, provide commentary and respond to questions throughout the demo.
This talk is for computer graphics artists in film, gaming or other industries who are interested in refining their skills, picking up new techniques and renewing their enthusiasm for their craft. It is also for traditional sculptors who want to get involved with the digital medium. And finally, it is perfect for aspiring professional artists who are looking to find more meaning in their work. Cesar will explain how motivation can be channeled into quality work.
A raffle will be held to win fantastic Pixologic prizes including a copy of Pixologic’s Zbrush and a 1-month membership to ZBrush Workshops.
SuperGenius game studio will be at the event reviewing portfolios and reels. They will be providing feedback for attendees who bring their work.
- Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH Members ― free
- Non-Members ― $15
- Non-Members Students ― $12 with student ID
Registration and Amenities: this and other Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH meetings are free to Cascade Chapter members. Nonmembers will need to pay a $15 admission fee at the door for this event ($12 for students with ID). Annual local membership can be purchased at our website, cascade.siggraph.org, under join, or at the door for $25.00 a year for professionals and $18 for students.
Tickets will be available at Eventbrite with a card and at the door with cash or check. Seating is limited so pre-event ticket purchast is advised.
Light appetizers will be available to attendees. For more information on membership registration, visit http://wp.siggraph.org/cascade/join/
About Cesar— Cesar Dacol Jr. has worked in the film industry for over 25 years, having started his career in the makeup effects industry and transitioning to computer effects in the mid 90’s.
With a background in anatomy and traditional sculpting, he has worked as a Lead and Modeling Supervisor, contributing to feature films such as “Journey to the center of the earth 3D,” 300″,” Barnyard” and “Fantastic Four.” Currently he works as a Director of Character Development for the feature film industry.
When not working on productions, Cesar keeps busy with the release of Ballistic publishing’s “D’artiste Character Modeling 3D, a beta team member for Pixologic’s ZBrush, and as an instructor for CGSociety’s CGWorkshops.
Supporters— the Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter would like to acknowledge and thank the following generous supporters of this event:
- 3DPDX seeks to bring 3d Artists, Animators & Designers of all levels together for the purpose of networking, knowledge sharing, referrals and resource sharing inside and around Portland. We would like to thank 3DPDX for donating the gifts that will be raffled off for this event.
- The Art Institute of Portland provides a range of courses and degrees for the applied commercial artist. The institute provides relevant, practical and hands on experience with curriculum carefully scrutinized and developed by industry professionals and prominent employers. We would like to thank the Art Institute for opening their space for this event.
- ASIFA Portland exists to boost the art of animation and the community that practices it, promoting a free exchange of ideas both locally and internationally. Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH is grateful for their involvement in the industry and for bringing refreshments to this event.
- 52 LTD brings creatives and clients together to solve problems. From Portland to New York, full-time to freelance, be known. Cascade ACM SIGGRAPH thanks 52 LTD. for it’s generous donation.
Picnic in the Park
Join us for a fun picnic potluck in the park. This is our Summer Social / Networking event and with a beautiful setting and weather, it’ll be a great time for all: the CG community and anyone you’d like to bring.
- Saturday, July 21, 2012
- George Roger’s PARK in Lake Oswego
- Picnic 12:00 to 2:30 pm
- (open board meeting 10:30 to 12:00) — all are welcome
- Get a Park MAP.pdf We’ll be by the Historic Smelter, point #908yfu8ytdf7rtft
George Roger’s Park has an historic iron smelter and we’ll be in front of it — look for lovely picnic tables, with grills made to look like the smelter, between the iron “furnace” and the river beach. There are nice hiking trails, a small, lush field by the tables, and beach for swimming or sunning where the lake feeds into the Willamette River. We hope you are able to come and enjoy this historic, beautiful site.Location and Logistics This event is free. Bring a contribution for the potluck meal or just yourself. Or feel free to bring family, friends, games: the more the merrier. We’ll bring the barbeque briquettes, hot dogs, watermelon, ice, buns, mustard, utensils, cups and paper plates.